African Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
In this African peanut and chicken stew recipe, nutrient-rich sweet potatoes and no-salt-added tomatoes keep this creamy stew healthy.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can chickpeas garbanzos, (15–19 oz), drained
- 1 3/4 lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 3 tbsp cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cups peanuts roasted unsalted coarsely chopped
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Drain chickpeas.
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces (wash hands).
- Place in slow cooker: chicken, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, peppers, seasoning, garlic, and stock; cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2–3 hours (or 4–6 hours on LOW) or until potatoes are tender and chicken is 165°F.
- Remove 1 cup of liquid from the stew and whisk in the peanut butter until blended; stir mixture into stew. Chop cilantro and peanuts. Serve with stew.