- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 gallon milk
- 6 cans new potatoes, drained
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 lb cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium-low heat, melt butter in large soup pan.
- Reduce heat to low and add flour. Mix until smooth.
- Add milk 1/2 a cup at a time. Mix thoroughly after each addition of milk, making sure that mix is completely smooth before adding more milk.
- Once mix reaches a “soupy” consistency, add remaining milk and stir briefly.
- Allow to cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 45 minutes or until thickened.